Our role involves both regulating monopoly operations in the electricity and natural gas networks, and monitoring the competitive energy markets. Our work is intended to contribute to a reliable supply network, well-functioning energy markets and consumer awareness.
Ei also manages Elpriskollen.se, which assists electricity consumers in Sweden in choosing an electricity supplier.
Our duties are governed through terms of reference, the annual appropriation directions and specific Government assignments. Our work shall contribute to the implementation of the energy market policies of the Government and Riksdag.
We supervise compliance with laws and regulations
We supervise compliance with laws and regulations in the energy markets sector. The laws that govern the operations are the Electricity Act, the Natural Gas Act, the District Heating Act, the Act on Certain Pipelines, the Act on the Certification of National Grid Undertakings for Electricity as well as the Certification of Certain Natural Gas Undertakings. The operations are also governed by extensive EU regulation.
We are actively participating in the international work
The markets for electricity and gas in Europe are becoming increasingly transnational. Our duties therefore include participating, as a representative of Sweden, in the development of energy markets within the Nordic countries and Europe. One way that this takes place is through our involvement in the development of the EU regulatory framework in the electricity and natural gas sector.
- Our operations in brief
- Inspect whether network fees are reasonable for electricity and gas
- Examine applications for and issue concessions for electricity and gas
- Examine whether connection fees are reasonable for electricity
- Monitor quality in the electricity network
- Monitor and analyse the development of the electricity, gas and district heating markets
- Strengthen the position of customers by providing information
- Suggest changes to laws or other measures when necessary
- Work internationally within ACER, CEER, NordREG and ICER
- Read more about international work.